How to Post a Sign for any Land Use Change
In an effort to increase the awareness of neighborhoods of potential land use changes in their areas, the City of Joliet requires posting of a sign giving notice of a hearing on a proposed land use change. All petitions filed for review by the Zoning Board of Appeals and Plan Commission must follow these procedures:
- At least one sign for every 500 feet of street frontage, with a minimum of one sign on each street abutting the property shall be posted. If the property in question is more than 1 acre please download the supplemental information [PDF].
- The sign shall be posted at least 15 days but not more than 30 days before the hearing date.
- The sign shall contain the time and place of the public hearing and the nature of the land use change being requested. It shall be placed in a conspicuous location on the property so it may be observed and read from the street.
- The sign shall be provided by the City of Joliet Planning Division upon the applicant's payment of a $50.00 deposit for each sign.
- It shall be the applicant's responsibility to post the sign. Written certification of the posting of the sign shall be provided by the applicant to the City with the date and location of the posting of the sign.
- Upon completion of the public hearing, the sign shall be removed and returned to the City within ten days. The applicant's deposit shall be refunded upon return of the sign.
- Failure to post the sign as required may result in the deferral of action on, or the denial of the applicant's petition.