No building permits will be issued in an easement.
These examples are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey
- Structural Drawings
- Building Permit Application
- Cost Estimate
- HOA approval (if applicable)
Cost of Permit: $50.00 (for up to $8,000)
Information on Permits: A permit is required prior to construction of any garage.
- The garage must be located out of all Public and Utility Easements.
- When there are no easements, the garage can be placed 3 ft. from the rear and side lot lines.
- The garage must be located 60 ft. from the front property line.
- The garage must be not taller than one story, 20 ft. high to top of roof ridge. Wall height must not exceed 10 ft. high.
- The garage must be smaller in footprint than the house (first floor square footage).
- When a garage door faces an alley, the garage must be 10 ft. from the alley and 3 ft. from the side lot line.
- When a garage door does not face an alley, the garage can be located 3 ft. from the alley and the side lot lines.
- If the garage is located less than 6 ft. from the house, the garage must be code compliant (Contact Building Inspector).
- Detached accessory structures larger than 200 sq. ft. in area shall be constructed to complement the principal structure (building material and colors).
- There is to be only one detached garage or carport allowed per residential property (including properties with multiple lots).
- On a corner lot, the garage must be located a minimum of 20 ft. from the side lot line, and must be located at least 3 ft. from the rear lot line.
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, unroofed decks/patios, & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
- Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at: 1-800-892-0123, to mark any underground utility lines.
- All garages and carports are required to include and maintain a paved driveway.
- Application For Building [PDF] *Required*
- Residential Accessory Structures Review Form [PDF] *Required*
- Plumbing [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Heating, Cooling, Refrigeration & Ventilation Systems [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Electrical [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Detached Garage Layout [PDF]
- Detached Garage Layout w/ Alley [PDF]
- Detached Garage Layout on Corner Lot [PDF]
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432